Crochet Granny Square Tote Bag

How to make Quilled Mandala doily tricks and tips

A disclaimer first. I am a novice at making quilled mandala.These three Quilled doilies are my first which I made over three days during Diwali. It all started with making quilled Diya gifts for a friend and then I was hooked.  
quilled diya
Quilled circle for diya

 
I have been wanting to make quilled mandalas for years but always got scared by looking at the perfection in symmetry and desgin that these quilled pieces had. 

quilled mandala doily
Quilled mandalas

 Tip 1 

The most basic and important point to remember is that the pieces will all fit whatever the size.Whether it is circle or petal..... the size doesn't matter. You DoNOt need to measure your pattern. 

quilled doily

I have made these three quilled doilies without following any predesgined pattern. I just made them as I went .... with the flow. I am not discrediting those who follow a pattern or template while making a quilled mandala. I just want to encourage every quiller to give it a try.

quilled mandala doily




 Tip 2 : When you are glueing the pieces, there will most certainly be some space left in between the last two pieces where you can't fit the original size. Just wiggle the earlier pieces around and cover that space. As simple as that.


You can frame these quilled doilies or varnish them and use them as coasters. Or how about smaller versions for quilled fridge magnets? 
I am thinking of making a few more and framing them for my son's teachers' Christmas gifts. 

I am linking my quilled doilies to the following challenges:
Always Fun challenges : Anything goes
Use your Stuff : Tic Tac Toe 
      I used the diagonal line Circles ( quilled tight coils), Your favourite colour ( Pink and green) , designer paper (  quilling paper from JJquilling)
crafty creations : Anything goes 
Crafting Happiness challenges : Anything but a card 
Country view Challenges : Anything but a card

Comments

  1. Love it! Thanks for joining the NO CARDS challenge at Crafting Happiness Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!! Thanks for joining us at UYS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Thanks for playing along with us at UYS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... Let me say that it does NOT look like a beginner's effort! I had never seen such large projects done in quilling before. Thanks for showing us at Country View Challenges and keep on quilling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words 🙂. This is my most daring quilling project till date but I am happynI tried.

      Delete
  5. Wow, your paper mandalas are amazing!!! Thank you for joining the November challenge of the Country View Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing such beautiful crafts with us.
    Why don't you put it on a Black Friday Sale to earn decent money.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to visit my blog. I really love to read your opinions and thoughts. Have a lovely day :)